About Alabama Aerospace & Aviation High School
Charter High School in Bessemer, AL
We’re preparing for takeoff.
At AAHS, we’re creating the aviation and aerospace leaders of tomorrow. Through our rigorous, immersive and industry-aligned instruction, we’re giving our students the skills, curiosity and inspiration to pursue real-life careers that will challenge and reward them professionally and personally.
Opening Fall 2022
After three years of planning, dreaming and hard work, our charter was approved by the state board in August and we signed our contract with the state in November, paving the way for us to open AAHS in August 2022. We are now busy hiring highly qualified, enthusiastic instructors and finalizing our curriculum.
AAHS will open in its temporary location in Bessemer while completing construction of our permanent campus located near the Bessemer Municipal Airport.
- Official enrollment starts January 1, 2022.
- Students and families can sign an intent to enroll form prior to January 1, 2022.
- We are accepting 130-150 incoming ninth graders to form our first class.
- To start the enrollment process, please make an appointment. We encourage prospective students and their families to come talk to us, gain a better understanding of our school and ask any questions.
More About AAHS
- AAHS is a free public charter school. There is no cost to attend. There will be expenses, as there are in any public school, for supplies, field trips, clubs and other activities.
- AAHS will have busses to transport students to school. We will offer several drop-off locations where parents can drop students off to board their buses.
- We want parents to be actively involved and will have a parent leadership organization.
- AAHS will have a regular school calendar (not year-round school) but will offer a summer bridge program to qualifying students.
We prepare our diverse student body for leadership positions in the aerospace and aviation industries through a rigorous, authentic and industry-aligned aerospace and defense education.
We strive to create clearly-defined pathways for our diverse student body to enter aviation and aerospace careers and also to become a widely respected source of leaders for the industry.
We believe racially, socioeconomically and gender-diverse schools provide the best possible environments for students to learn, grow and thrive.
We believe there is a direct link between diversity and equity, and organizations with strong commitments to diversity create systems and structures that support equity.
We believe our students will be best prepared to succeed in the global aviation and aerospace industry if they are skilled in the art of weighing perspectives, communicating effectively and exploring globally.
- 100% student admission to four-year or two-year college or military enlistment
- 100% of students complete a four-year aviation or aerospace STEM pathway leading to either a credential or college credit
Social Emotional Goals
- Measurable growth on social-emotional learning competencies via student surveys
- 95% average daily membership annually
- 100% of identified high-needs students matched with a mentor from enrollment to graduation
Life Success Goals
- 95% of students hired in aerospace or aviation-related field
- 50% of graduating classes become licensed minority pilots
Culture and Climate
- Measurably high approval ratings on student, staff and parent culture and climate surveys
- 80% participation in school engagement opportunities (sports, clubs, student-led organizations)
Sign Up for Email Updates
We will be providing a future-building, college and career-focused education that will change the lives of our students, who will then change the world. If you are a student, a parent, a teacher, a donor — or just anyone that wants to be a part of our success — sign up here to stay up-to-date on our progress.