We Have Liftoff.
After three years of planning, dreaming, and hard work, AAHS welcomed its first class of students in the fall of 2022 and we are currently enrolling 9th and 10th graders for the 2023-24 school year.
At AAHS, we’re offering a whole new kind of educational opportunity to students: the chance to get an outstanding high school education combined with industry-aligned, career-focused training and experience. In addition to hands-on, experiential instruction, we will provide clearly defined pathways for our diverse student body to enter aviation and aerospace careers.
AAHS is now open in its temporary location in Bessemer while completing the construction of our permanent campus near the Bessemer Municipal Airport.
- Enrollment for the 2023-24 school year is now open.
- We are accepting enrollment applications from rising 9th and 10th graders.
To start the enrollment process, please make an appointment. We encourage prospective students and their families to come to talk to us, gain a better understanding of our school, and ask any questions.
MORE ABOUT AAHS
- AAHS is a free public charter school. There is no cost to attend. There will be expenses, as there are in any public school, for supplies, field trips, clubs and other activities.
- AAHS will have busses to transport students to school. We will offer several drop-off locations where parents can drop students off to board their buses.
- We want parents to be actively involved and will have a parent leadership organization.
- AAHS will have a regular school calendar (not year-round school) but will offer a summer bridge program to qualifying students.
We prepare our diverse student body for leadership positions in the aerospace and aviation industries through a rigorous, authentic, industry-aligned aerospace and defense education.
We strive to create clearly defined pathways for our diverse student body to enter aviation and aerospace careers and also to become a widely respected source of leaders for the industry.
We believe racially, socioeconomically, and gender-diverse schools provide the best possible environments for students to learn, grow and thrive.
We believe there is a direct link between diversity and equity, and organizations with strong commitments to diversity create systems and structures that support equity.
We believe our students will be best prepared to succeed in the global aviation and aerospace industry if they are skilled in the art of weighing perspectives, communicating effectively and exploring globally.
- 100% student admission to four-year or two-year college or military enlistment
- 100% of students complete a four-year aviation or aerospace STEM pathway leading to either a credential or college credit
SOCIAL EMOTIONAL GOALS
- Measurable growth on social-emotional learning competencies via student surveys
- 95% average daily membership annually
- 100% of identified high-needs students matched with a mentor from enrollment to graduation
LIFE SUCCESS GOALS
- 95% of students hired in aerospace or aviation-related field
- 50% of graduating classes become licensed minority pilots
CULTURE AND CLIMATE
- Measurably high approval ratings on student, staff and parent culture and climate surveys
- 80% participation in school engagement opportunities (sports, clubs, student-led organizations)